The proposed development at Sorne Hill consists of 16 no. wind turbines, 60 metre hub height and 70 metre rotor diameter.
The project was one of the first to utilise large scale deployment of multi megawatt turbines. The site planning was an integral part of the scheme development and emphasis was focused on achieving maximum energy capture, whilst minimising the visual aspects of the scheme.
The practice co-ordinated all aspects of the planning for the project, from the initial site appraisal to meterological monitoring and the co-ordination of the environmental impact statement.
Planning permission was obtained in January 2002 and construction work is expected to commence on this development in summer 2004.
- Location: Sorne Hill and Meenkeeragh Hill, Buncrana, Co. Donegal
- Client: Sorne Wind Energy Limited
- Size approx.: approx. 200 Ha.
- Year of Project: 2002 - present
- Project Team
- Director: Mr. John Ward
- Team Members
- Engineering: JC Warnock & Company
- Floristic assessment: Catherine Storey & Co.
- Cultural Heritage: Mary Henry & Co.